The Lowell Spinners have cleared one of the first major hurdles in their quest to build a replica “Green Monster” wall in left field of LeLacheur Park. The Lowell Arena Commission unanimously agreed to approve the project, with the next step being the City Council voting on the 8th.
The plan calls for a new section of seating to be placed just in front of the wall, which would shorten the left field fence to 313 feet, two feet short of regulations. The move also has to win approval from the Red Sox and Minor League Baseball.
The Spinners also put forth a list of park improvements that it hopes to implement before the 2010 season:
* improvements to the secondary roof coverings on the home clubhouse, visitor’s clubhouse and press box a combined estimated cost of $196,000;
* replacement of the entire outfield wall at an estimated cost of $60,000;
* an upgrade to the mechanical cooling system in the front and ticket offices at an estimated cost of $22,500;
* repairs to the basement slab at the edge of the home clubhouse to prevent flooding of offices and storage areas at an estimated cost of $5,000;
* replacement of the HVAC units that service the office and clubhouses, with no cost estimate available;
* installation of metal flashing from the edge of the deck to the existing gutters on the roofs of both clubhouses at an estimated cost of $17,500.